Monday, November 10, 2008

Observation #3




This week when I viewed my microaquarium I saw many new organisms, including some organisms that I was able to see last week, but unable to identify. This past week in class we talked about many of the organisms that I saw this week, including diatoms. I had many different types of diatoms throughout my aquarium. This week I was able to use a camera, so all the photos and videos that I include are mine.The photographs seen here are of a couple different types of diatoms. The long filamentous-like organism on the left is actually just diatoms strung together. These are the organisms whose silica cell walls remain after they die, creating diatomaceous earth which is used for water filters and polishing agents.
The second organism that I saw was a euglena. These organisms are green because they contain the necessary pigments for photosynthesis. Here is a picture of the one I viewed in my aquarium. It was located approximately midway through my aquarium and it was close to the plant material.
The next organism that I viewed was really interesting, but I'm not sure what it is. Dr. McFarland thought it may be an arcella, a type of testate amoebae, meaning it has a shell. But this image looks more fluid. I will have to find out this week when I look at my aquarium.
There were many different types of rotifers in my aquarium this week, two of which I got some excellent photographs and videos. The first rotifer is a shelled type of rotifer. It looks very different from the other types that I have seen so far in this aquarium. The second type that I was able to see appeared much larger and a horn and salvary glands were all visible. I was able to take a video of this rotifer. I will include this in a second post for Observation #3.

No comments: